Tuesday 25 September 2012

First post

This is my first official post as a blogger. I am 2.5 years into being a mother to a darling daughter who has Down syndrome.

The last two and a half years have prompted the most pain, love, growth and learning of any time of my life. I can honestly say that I am happier now than I have ever been in my life and that my biggest source of joy has come from overcoming the most painful experience of my life: when I discovered that my daughter was born with Down syndrome.

What I have come to realize since Phoenix's birth, is that the human mind is an incredible thing. We can accept almost anything given enough time and perspective. Phoenix having DS was something I couldn't change, as much as I wanted to. But how I thought about her and DS has changed dramatically.

At 2.5 Phoenix continues to surprise me daily. I am pleasantly encouraged every day by her capacity to learn and her funny little personality. Here she is peering at you through the computer screen:


As a teacher, I am a big supporter of early learning. This summer I started a big push to teach shapes, colors and the letters of the alphabet. Surprisingly, she learned them all within a very short time period. Next came numbers. Now we are starting on sight words. I'm hoping that by the time she goes to early intervention pre-school next year that Phoenix is the most well prepared 3 year old they have every had the pleasure of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment